It’s a question that many people find themselves asking on a daily basis—when is the right time to consider moving into an independent senior living community? What should I be looking for? How do I know it’s the right one for me?
Consider Independent Senior Living as You Approach Retirement
Generally speaking, the right time for considering a move to an independent senior living community is when you or your loved one is 65 and older yet wants to maintain your independence and live your own life while having essential amenities provided.
And although residents at independent senior living communities are living in their own private apartments, the “resort-like” atmosphere and abundance of activities allow individuals to socialize with other active residents while enjoying the best of both worlds.
Betty, a 76-year-old widow who lives at Bethesda Terrace, located in South St. Louis County, was happy with her decision to move to an independent senior living community. “After living alone for 17 years, I decided to go into a retirement community,” she said. “I have been here for nine years, and the food and activities are very good. No more cooking, cleaning, and doing dishes. I have easy access to the laundry room, beauty shop, etc., and I have made a lot of friends. It is a great way to retire!”
Questions to Ask When Visiting Independent Senior Living Communities
When you are ready to being your search, among the first criteria to consider are the history of the organization/company, the location of community, the atmosphere you feel when you come for a visit (try to include a meal with your tour – you get a feel for the type of residents who live there as well as the opportunity to taste the food), the different amenities provided for residents, and the variety of cost/payment options that are available for you.
Once you have narrowed your list down, you can begin to ask more community-specific questions, such as:
- Are meals provided and how many? Are meals served buffet or restaurant-style table service? Can a meal be scheduled with the tour?
- Is housekeeping provided? How often?
- Are laundry services available?
- Are utilities included? Which ones?
- Is cable included?
- Is medical transportation included? How many days a week? Is there a radius limit?
- What types of activities are provided?
- Are church services available?
- How often do rate increases take place?
- Is financial assistance provided?
- How secure is the building?
- How many hours a day is staff in the building?
- Is staff CPR trained?
- Is there an emergency call system in place?
- What are the evacuation procedures?
These are just a few of the questions that can help you decide which independent senior living community best fits your individual wants and needs. Making the decision to move is never easy, but once you do, you can enjoy freedom, security, and friendship all in a place you can call home.
Contact us to schedule a tour at an Independent Living Community near you!