Mother’s Day is the perfect time to show Mom just how much you love and appreciate her. For many of us, however, finding meaningful ways to honor her can be somewhat of a challenge.
Here’s a hint: It’s all about spending quality time with her.
Perhaps your Mom lives at an independent senior living or assisted living community. If so, you might check to see if the community is having a Mother’s Day celebration. Also, many senior living communities offer private dining facilities for a family gathering, but you may need to schedule ahead.
Make sure the Mother’s Day activities you plan are physically manageable for Mom. You may want to consult with the staff about what you are planning, so they can advise you regarding issues or concerns. Also, with advanced notice, staff may be available to assist. Bethesda Senior Support Solutions can provide this service for Bethesda residents and their families.
Here are a few ideas to help you celebrate Mother’s Day with your senior mother. She is unique, so complement these with your own ideas that let her know you were thinking of her.
6 Special Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day with Your Senior Mother
1. Enjoy a Family Meal or Cook Her Favorite Meal
- Decorate the table with candles, flowers, nice dinnerware
- Throw a potluck dinner with family and friends
- Bake cookies with Mom
2. Go to a Park
- The “park” may be outdoors at the senior living community where she lives
- Pack a lunch for a picnic in the park
- Play music she enjoys
- Bring photos to talk about
- Read to her
3. Visit a Botanical Garden
- Take the garden tram
- Hit the gift shop
- Schedule a gardening class for Mom
- Send her flower photos the next day
4. Antique Shopping
- Combine with lunch at her favorite restaurant
- Window shop at nearby stores
- Take an ice-cream break
5. Work Together on a Puzzle or Play a Card Game She Enjoys
- Great time to talk
- Supply her favorite wine
- Bring music she enjoys
- Time for a sing-along
6. Spa Day for Mom
- Check for massages tailored to seniors
- Have her pick a nail polish to take home
- Give her the spa treatment yourself
Feel free to mix and match any of the above.
Gifts for Mother’s Day
It’s not about the amount of money spent. The best gift you can give your mother is your time and attention. If you can’t be there in person, call or email her. You might also write a letter telling her how much you love and appreciate her. Design a card for her and bring it along with you on Mother’s Day. Have grandkids include notes on what they love about her or a favorite memory.
And don’t forget favorite flowers, snacks, or other gifts chosen with her in mind!
Bethesda’s senior living communities across the St. Louis area welcome visits from family and friends on holidays. To learn more about what our St. Louis Independent Living or Assisted Living communities offer, schedule a tour today.